Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Genesis 17:1-6

"When Abram was ninety-nine years old, the LORD appeared to him and said, 'I am El-Shaddai—"God Almighty." Serve me faithfully and live a blameless life. I will make a covenant with you, by which I will guarantee to give you countless descendants.'

"At this, Abram fell face down on the ground. Then God said to him, 'This is my covenant with you: I will make you the father of a multitude of nations! What's more, I am changing your name. It will no longer be Abram. Instead, you will be called Abraham, for you will be the father of many nations. I will make you extremely fruitful. Your descendants will become many nations, and kings will be among them!'"
 
Abram's humanly given name meant "exalted father." The focus was on him. (The irony is that he was barely even a father!) God's new name for Abram, Abraham, meant "father of many." The shift in identity goes from Abram himself to Abraham as a participant in God's great plan. When we come into a relationship with Jesus, he too gives us a new identity: child of God. We too become part of God's huge plan for the redemption of the world. Are you excited yet? Remember, you have a new identity and purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment