Sunday, February 20, 2011

Genesis 16:6b-11, 13

"Then Sarai treated Hagar so harshly that she finally ran away.
"The angel of the LORD found Hagar beside a spring of water in the wilderness, along the road to Shur. The angel said to her, 'Hagar, Sarai's servant, where have you come from, and where are you going?'
"'I'm running away from my mistress, Sarai,' she replied.
"The angel of the LORD said to her, 'Return to your mistress, and submit to her authority.' Then he added, 'I will give you more descendants than you can count.'
And the angel also said, 'You are now pregnant and will give birth to a son. You are to name him Ishmael (which means "God hears"), for the LORD has heard your cry of distress.…'
"Thereafter, Hagar used another name to refer to the LORD, who had spoken to her. She said, 'You are the God who sees me.' She also said, 'Have I truly seen the One who sees me?'"
 
When the angel appeared to Hagar, he asked her two questions. She could only answer one. She had no idea where she was going; in fact she had nowhere to go. The angel told her where she needed to go: back to the difficult situation. Now everything would be different. Now she knew that the Lord was with her—the Lord whom she ever after referred to as "the One who sees me." He had a plan. God both sees and hears you, too. He has a plan. That makes all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment