Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Genesis 30:16-18

"So that evening, as Jacob was coming home from the fields, Leah went out to meet him. 'You must come and sleep with me tonight!' she said. 'I have paid for you with some mandrakes that my son found.' So that night he slept with Leah. And God answered Leah's prayers. She became pregnant again and gave birth to a fifth son for Jacob. She named him Issachar, for she said, 'God has rewarded me for giving my servant to my husband as a wife.'"
 
This is a snapshot of a much larger picture of how God built the nation of Israel through Jacob's sons. Some came from Rachel, some from Leah, and some from each of their servants. The sons of Jacob were born out of familial strife, jealousy, and resentment. But God sent blessing anyway. We could question Leah's interpretation of events, but at least she gave God the credit. If you're ever discouraged about your family or other situation that would seem to thwart God's blessing, take heart! God will accomplish his good purposes, despite all our sins and failures

No comments:

Post a Comment