Friday, February 11, 2011

Jeremiah 15:10-11 - Will you trust God or complain to others?

"Then I said,

'What sorrow is mine, my mother.
  Oh, that I had died at birth!
  I am hated everywhere I go.
I am neither a lender who threatens to foreclose
  nor a borrower who refuses to pay—
  yet they all curse me.'

The LORD replied,

'I will take care of you, Jeremiah.
  Your enemies will ask you to plead on their behalf
  in times of trouble and distress.'"
 
Jeremiah complained not to God but to his mother. Yet God was the one who answered Jeremiah in his distress with a promise of care. How often do we turn to someone else to complain about our situation, rather than God? Yet even then, God steps in with grace and offers a promise. Things will turn around, he assures Jeremiah. Yet the implication is that they will turn around eventually. In the meantime, Jeremiah's choice is to trust or complain. The same choice is ours in difficulty. Will you trust God or complain to others?

No comments:

Post a Comment