Thursday, August 5, 2010

Jeremiah 3:1, 12–13

"'If a man divorces a woman
     and she goes and marries someone else,
he will not take her back again,
     for that would surely corrupt the land.
But you have prostituted yourself with many lovers,
     so why are you trying to come back to me?'
says the LORD.
"Therefore, go and give this message to Israel. This is what the LORD says:
'O Israel, my faithless people,
     come home to me again,
for I am merciful.
     I will not be angry with you forever.
Only acknowledge your guilt.
     Admit that you rebelled against the LORD your God
and committed adultery against him
     by worshiping idols under every green tree.
Confess that you refused to listen to my voice.
     I, the LORD, have spoken!'"
 
There's a beautiful picture of grace here: Though his people have forsaken and betrayed him and gone after other gods as lovers, still God calls them to come back to him. Consider well this humility of God—all because he is love. It's his very nature. Embrace it, as he longs to embrace you.

No comments:

Post a Comment